Sunday, May 16, 2010

Working with the members

Dear Mom and Dad:

This week was awesome. The world's best miracle happened this week with an area in our district. I was on trade-offs with Elder Richins (I was companions with him for a few weeks when his comp. went home) on Tuesday. He had 2 lessons scheduled but both fell through. He called a potential that he had street contacted a few days before. He set up a lesson with her a few hours later and we met her at a University near by. She is from Brazil and is in Australia studying. We taught the Restoration, committed her to read and pray and she said yes. We committed her to baptism if she knew it to be true and she said yes. We committed her to come to church on Sunday and even better news - she said yes. We set up another lesson that week with a member that would give her a ride to church. Elder Richins told me that that went so great. That she had prayed to know and she got an answer that it is true. She is SO PREPARED and the only thing that is kind of sad is that she is moving to Hawaii this Thursday. We are going to give the missionaries over there the information and she will be baptized very quickly over there. This is the Lords work.

You probably remember me talking about Cody. He is so prepared as well. He is Bobby's grandson that just moved over from New Zealand. He is so awesome. He knows the Book of Mormon is true. He has such a good relationship with Heavenly Father - especially with all that he has been through for only being 14.

Our transfer theme is Working with the Members so I wanted to kindly ask for some advice again. More than just gaining members trust, we have been training on how to have more effective Member Present Lessons. We plan to accomplish this with 5 steps.
1- Preparing the Member DAYS before the lesson (Include the member in the lesson plan)
2- A clear goal (Let the member know the commitment you will leave)
3- Tell the member about the background of the investigator.
4- Teach the member before. (Perhaps give them a short example of what you will teach)
5- Evaluate with the member after the lesson.

I forgot to mention, the recent converts that we went out in the bush with last P-day were the first ones I conducted a baptism interview for. That was a great experience especially since they were so prepared. We drove to a place called the Natural Arch. Nothing compared to what Utah has but they have some glow worms there that were interesting to see.

Being a missionary is so awesome. I love you all.
God Speed the Right
-Elder Hales

(*I usually don't include his private messages to the family, but thought these would be good this time)


Michael & family:
I know how you feel. My very first transfer in the mission I ran out of the car to give some sister missionaries some daily planners and I didn't see the hitch at the back of the car as I was running around. Completely slammed my knee into the solid metal. I couldn't walk for a few hours and I wanted to throw up.
Things sound sweet with your new house and computer.

Carly:
FERRDINCUM!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm happy for you! Tell him I say, "What's going on bro! Literally- brother."
Read D&C 9: 7-9. You have made the right choice- now just continue to pray fervently.

Cheri:
I taught the Plan of Salvation in Gospel Principles class last Sunday. There recently have been a few deaths in the ward, one being a baby. I testified of my little niece and my eyes started to sweat. I always mention what Spencer said to me by the grave -- that that is the reason I am going on a mission. I can't ever forget that. Many tears were flying and then I mentioned how it's safe to say I am the favorite uncle and how I know that I will be able to play with Macie. One non-member who had never been to church before came to me saying she liked the lesson.
Haha- Yes, Magnum ice cream is pretty good. There are several missionaries addicted. I'll eat one for you. :) So expensive though.

1 comment:

Gary and Michelle said...

My eyes started to "sweat" as I read this post. What a great example he is to us all.