Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hold to the Rod

Dear Mom and Dad,

Elder Tauiliili and I went to seminary this morning to help the teacher with all the students passing off scripture mastery. There are some excellent youth here.

Another week has blown by. We had Zone conference this week and that was definitely the highlight. It was sooo good. One Elder gave an excellent training on "talking to everyone" and then the President gave such good training on Repentance, Grace and Mercy and the Atonement. President also talked about being chastened and how the Lord chastens those that he loves. He said that we must be chastened and accept it to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. I have been praying for humbling experiences and now I am praying to be chastened! Ha ha I love it. The night after Zone conference I really had an experience like Enos. The words of President had really sunk into my head and I realized ways I need to improve as a missionary and as a person. This week as I was studying I read somewhere that we need to "read the scriptures introspectively" -- to look for how we can improve and that is something that is hard and we have to get used to- it's likening the scriptures to us. Each week before weekly planning, President has us do an introspection. To really look at where we are and where we want to be and to set goals to achieve that. Then that week we choose just a few things to work on. I have a goal to read the Book of Mormon 2 hours a day. In study and in language study. It is really going to help me grip the iron rod firm to keep on the goal. If we let go of the iron rod- or stop reading the scriptures we WILL get lost in the mist.

This week we had 3 investigators at church again. Things are really going well. We had a member tell us "you guys are going a good job" after she saw how many were in our Gospel Principles class. It always feels good when members compliment the work. Our new Ward Mission Leader is the Man. He is Tongan but grew up in Hawaii his whole life. He had a full ride scholarship to Colorado playing gridiron but got caught up in the wrong things and went through A LOT but now he has his own security business and a wonderful family. Very humble and spiritual guy.

Things are great here. Hope and pray all is well at home.
Love you all,
Elder Hales

No comments: