Sunday, September 5, 2010

Old area photo. New area - out in the sticks

Elder Willie and I at Cabarita Beach lookout about 3 or 4 weeks ago. (Before the transfer) Amazing surf.



Dear Mom and Dad,

Challenge the missionaries to challenge the members to do more member missionary work.

Well, I feel kind of like last week where I don't know where to start. I'll start by saying that this transfer is COMPLETELY from the Lord. I am in complete country where I feel so ineffective because there aren't people everywhere to talk to. It's a different type of missionary work here. I have grown so much from being here already. I have been chastised, humbled, and any other word you want to describe how I have felt this last week. Leaving Tweed Heads wasn't too hard especially since I trust the missionary that was sent there, but it was a tough week here in the Somerset Ward. The four main (tiny) cities we work in are Laidley, Gatton, Rosewood and Lowood. Our Chapel is in Plainlands and everyone is just scattered so its stressful with our kilometer limit to get the work that we want to get done, but of course, the Lord will provide for a way when he commands.

This area is awesome. The ward is great and I love our Bishop. His name is Bishop Rea. There are about 70 members of the Rea family in the ward. They all live on the same street too! But this ward is doing the 15 names program which is awesome. Miracles will come! I heard its the 25 names program in America, right?

Elder Walston is from Brigham City, Utah. He goes home in two transfers so I'm working him HARD . He has been awesome and we have seen some awesome miracles this week. I remember in the MTC they told us to teach in a way that people can't deny the truth and we had a lesson with a couple named Michelle and Kurt this week where the spirit was so strong and she recognized it. We set their Baptism Date for Sept. 25. The Spirit has been so strong in our lessons. I finally feel like I am just learning how to be a missionary and a teacher. Only concern is I need to know the ward better. I have only been here a week but I need to know them fast to help these baptisms go through. When I got into the area, several investigators hadn't been committed to baptism. (?!!!) So we should have some more baptisms coming up.

This week has been amazing. The spirit I feel during study and lessons has really helped me. I have been looking at the blessing that I received during my setting apart and wow- a lot of them have come to pass! Like I said before, I feel like I am just learning how to be a missionary. I am just learning how to work with members effectively, teach, study, and proclaim. It is such a great feeling.

Love you all,
Elder Hales

No comments: